Friday, March 31, 2017

Boats, South Waterfront PDX

My multi-media sketchbook doesn't take near as much abuse as my Arches watercolor block, but that's ok. Keeps me from getting overly precious about sketches. The whole point of "plein air" is training in observation and editing. You can't possibly reproduce nature, and anyway that's boring in the age of ubiquitous smart phones with ever improving cameras.


This is the 2nd study I started on March 20th, my outdoor easel's maiden voyage. (First one is here.) Now it's a bit different in that I've got my learner's permit & I'm obliged to drive at least most of the way there, like to Riverside Cemetary on my 2nd outing. 

Happily I've just discovered that google maps gives you a highway avoidance option in the maps directions. Fantastic! It's only been a couple weeks. We started around the neighborhood. I've driven downtown the last two times I did my office cleaning job. Baby steps. It's been decades since I've driven after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment