Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Hawthorne Bridge, study 1 #illustration #watercolor #landscape



I finished my first study of Hawthorne Bridge, from my maiden voyage painting outside with my new, fancy easel in downtown Portland! I might do a larger version with a slightly different composition entirely in the studio, so I can get a more finished version of the bridge and intense colors. I have a second view to work on, which I'll probably get to on Friday. This was the first view I chose. After that I picked something with easier levels of distance. It's all good. If I want to get paid to render historic architecture I've got to practice, practice, practice.

I also want to do some parks and graveyards!

This is funny but I was just looking at the 10-day forecast for my zipcode to try to figure out when I should try to get back out there.


Ummm.... Looks like Thursday is probably my best bet, so I should take it just in case things don't improve. You do often get breaks in the day here even when the forecast isn't promising, but you can't be sure it'll happen.

I'll have to think of how I'll adjust for mildly rainy weather. Perhaps I'll be able to accommodate that if & when I start working with oils again. The thing is, if I'm trying to show the beauty of this area, some of my work has to include some rainy, ominous, murky and sublime.



No comments:

Post a Comment